Features & Benefits
New for 2004
- New lighter piston is reshaped for increased compression, quicker response and improved torque over entire RPM range
- New ACG cover made from new magnesium material reduces heat build up and reduces weight
- New lighter ACG mass for improved response and drivability
- New ignition timing for improved drivability
- Improved carburetor settings for sharper throttle response
- New gearing to optimize power
- New exhaust system layout allows muffler to be lighter weight and moved forward 50mm for optimum centralization of mass
- New muffler packaging to increase durability
- New aluminum Renthal Bars as standard equipment (971 bend)
- New quick adjust clutch perch
- New clutch lever to improve feel and action
- The inner surface of front fork tubes use same honing process as works bikes for less friction. First time on a mass production motocrosser
- Improved suspension damping characteristics for plusher, smoother suspension action
- New footpeg hinges prevent dirt accumulation for consistent footpeg angle
- New “non slip” seat cover for increased rider control
- New front fender and front number plate for slimmer more aggressive look and lighter weight
- New Dunlop 742 front and 756 rear tires for improved traction and cornering
- New fork guards, engine guards and front hose clamps redesigned to reduce weight
- Overall reduced weight by 3.0 pounds
- Powerful engine churns out 55 bhp at 9000 rpm and 36.5 lb./ft. of torque at 7000 rpm. Power is produced across a wide rpm-band for easy-to-control operation.
- Auto decompression and hot restart system make starting easy in all conditions.
- Liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam„¢ 449cc engine produces more than 120 hp per liter while maintaining Honda’s legendary dependability and simplicity.
- Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 64.3 pounds.
- Unicam valve train provides the light weight of a compact single-cam drive and the optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum power at all engine rpm.
- Unicam valve train features a carburized single camshaft that directly actuates two 36mm titanium intake valves. The camshaft exhaust lobe actuates two 31mm steel exhaust valves via a forked, low-friction, roller rocker arm. A separate cam holder contributes to the compact design, which allows a remarkable 21.5¡ included valve angle and saves 13.3 ounces over a comparable DOHC system.
- Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height and saving 15.2 grams per valve compared to a steel valve design.
- Unique, internal pin-rotation-type auto decompressor produces a lightweight, compact system that provides superb cold-starting and hot-restarting operation.
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
- Forged, 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is more than 4.5 ounces lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes a big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.
- Nikasil® cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
- Press-fitted spark plug pipe fits between forked exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder head design.
- 40mm FCR-typcarburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability. Bottom of float chamber redesigned to allow more fuel to pass to the main jet.
- An 8-bit digital CPU incorporates the capacitive discharge ignition (CDI), producing immediate data calculation and extremely accurate ignition for maximum performance.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination to the engine oil, and reduces the amount of circulating oil and the required size of the oil pump.
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight 5.1 ounces compared to a conventional design.
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight titanium exhaust header, stainless steel pipe and repackable aluminum muffler with aluminum end cap.
- Dual radiators provide significantly more surface area and more effective heat dissipation compared to a single-radiator design.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
- Twin-spar aluminum frame is a third-generation design derived from Honda’s CR series. Tall swingarm pivot plates and thin frame spars create a narrow overall frame cross-section for superb rider comfort and maneuverability.
- Semi-double-cradle design features a single, large-diameter tapered downtube. Two rugged box-section rails attach to the base of the downtube and support the engine. A forged aluminum steering head provides a compact and extremely durable mount for the frame spars and engine downtube.
- The aluminum frame design is matched to rider ergonomics to maximize handling and control operation.
- Swingarm features a dual-axis, double-taper design with a large cast aluminum cross-member. End piece has been redesigned for a weight savings of almost 1 ounce.
- Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples.
- Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
- Optional 20-inch front wheel improves cornering traction and rider comfort.
- Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide significant rigidity to withstand torturous track conditions.
- Lightweight, 47mm inverted Showa® twin-chamber cartridge fork with aluminum dampers is derived from the CR250R and features settings unique to the CRF. The fork offers 12.4 inches of travel, 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability. The inner surface of front fork outer-tubes receive same honing treatment as works bikes for low-friction operation. First time on a mass production motocrosser.
- Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa rear damper and 12.6 inches of wheel travel, separate low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns) compression damping adjusters and 17-position rebound damping adjustability.
- Rear shock’s damper piston diameter is 50mm for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
- Compact dual-piston front brake caliper has been redesigned for a weight savings of over 1 ounce, anodized aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
- HRC® works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the rear master cylinder reservoir and hose.
- Large, 240mm front and rear brake discs.
- Frame design allows sidecovers to have larger air-intake ducts, contributing to significant airflow in the mid- and upper-rpm range.
- Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, the seat and the footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame, for improved comfort and handling feel.
- Seat cushion follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.
- Brake pedal and shift lever are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
- New wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are improved for self-cleaning, corrosion resistance, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
- Cleated rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum.
- Adjustable front brake lever for maximum control.
- New Renthal handlebar is rubber-mounted to reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
- CR handlebar holders provide three different mounting positions: standard CRF450R holder provides +/- 3mm fore or aft position to match rider preference, and optional holder (CR250R-type) provides neutral position.
- Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
- Chain guide has been redesigned for a weight savings of almost 1 ounce.
- Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
- Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
- Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
- Repackable silencer for maximum performance and minimal noise.
- Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
- Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary Membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America„¢. Benefits include discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance and much more. For HRCA® details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.
|Engine Type||449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore and Stroke||96mm x 62.1mm|
|Valve Train||Unicam; four-valve|
|Carburetion||Keihin 40mm flat-slide|
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.
ont size=”2″ face=”Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Ignition
|Solid-state CD with electronic advance|
|Final Drive||#520 chain; 13T/48T|
|Suspension Front||47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability; 12.4 inches travel|
|Suspension Rear||Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 17-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns); 12.6 inches travel|
|Brake Front||Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper|
|Brake Rear||Single 240mm disc|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||26.91|
|Trail||108 mm (4.25 inches)|
|Seat Height||37.6 inches|
|Ground Clearance||13.4 inches|
|Dry Weight||222.0 pounds|
|Fuel Capacity||2.0 gallons|
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.