2015 Oakland SX | Practice Report
FIND OUT WHAT IS HAPPENING AT THE TRACK BY FOLLOWING OUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
Photos – Ryne Swanberg
The 2015 Monster Energy Supercross Series has made its first run of the year to the Bay Area for a weekend at O.co Coliseum in Oakland, California. We've seen two different winners in each class through the first three rounds, but tonight's event could bring another name into the list. But it will be tough to stop the two title favorites that currently control their respective classes, as they've inched slightly ahead of their competition in the point standings.
A rather simple track has been laid out on the Coliseum floor, but numerous ruts carved into the soft Central California soil has made for a technical circuit. It will be interesting to see if the top riders can create new lines in the numerous rhythm lanes, or if the standard jump-jump-jump will keep the pack tight.
250 West Coast Regional Championship
Like always, the battle for the best time went down to the wire in the final 250 A Timed Qualifying session. Red Bull KTM's Justin Hill and Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha's Cooper Webb rocketed around the track using interesting jump combinations, but Hill managed to cut the quicker lap and was the only 250 rider to post a time in the 51-second range.
NEWS AND NOTES FROM THE 250 CLASS
– Matt Bisceglia is out for the Oakland round, his second race in a row. The GEICO Honda rider suffered a concussion last week in Anaheim and failed to pass the required IMPACT Concussion test.
– Michael Leib went down in the first 250 A timed practice, and unfortunately suffered a reported broken leg in the crash.
– Jake Canada has joined the 51Fifty race team alongside Austin Politelli.
– Nico Izzi returned to action after missing Anaheim Two with illness.
450 Supercross Championship
Just like the 250 class, it took until the last moments of the 450 Timed Qualifying process to find out who was indeed fastest. Four riders clicked off laps in the 51-second range, with Team Honda rider Trey Canard's 51.358 being the best. Ken Roczen, Ryan Dungey, and Eli Tomac were within .600 a second of the lap.
NEWS AND NOTES FROM THE 450 CLASS
– Justin Brayton, Weston Peick, Mike Alessi, and Dean Wilson are all missing from the line-up tonight, as they suffered injuries within the last few weeks. Brayton will return in a few months, Peick a few weeks, Alessi at Anaheim Three, but Wilson may miss the remainder of the year.
– Phil Nicoletti and Vince Friese are racing as fill-in riders for the AutoTrader.com/Toyota/Yamaha and Smartop/MotoConcepts teams, respectively.
– Martin Davalos is on the roster again tonight, but unlike last weekend, the Rockstar Energy Racing Husqvarna rider will line up for the night show.