AURORA, Ill. (March 31, 2006) ¿ Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series makes its return to Houston’s Reliant Stadium.
- 1st race March 15, 1974, Pierre Karsmakers, won on a Yamaha.
- The supercross schedule has always included Houston since 1974.
- This will be the 40th time the gate will drop in Houston, second only to Pontiac and Anaheim.
- From 1977 to 1983, double headers took place in Houston.
- Jeff Ward won the Houston main event four years in a row 1985-88.
- Most wins by racer in Houston: Hannah-5, McGrath-5, Barnett-5
- Wins by brand: Yam-14, Hon-9, Kaw-8, Suz-6, Can-am-2
- Last wins in Houston by brand: Kaw-`05, Yam-`04, Hon-`02, Suz-`83
- Can Carmichael give Suzuki its first win in Houston since 1983.
- First time winners in Houston: Tony Distefano-`75, Broc Glover-`80
- Stewart won his seventh race of season. His 10th career supercross class win. He is now tied with Jim Ellis and Ron Lechien on the AMA Supercross class win list.
- Stewart is third on Kawasaki’s all time supercross win list behind Jeff Ward, who has 20 wins, Carmichael 15 wins.
- Carmichael was the last racer to win back to back in Houston in `01 and `02. Can Stewart join him?
- Carmichael has 11 podiums in twelve races.
- This is the 330th AMA Supercross Lites race in history.
- Can Honda win its eighth Lites championship, the first East title since `93 when Doug Henry won it?
- Honda won its seventh consecutive AMA Supercross Lites race last week, which hasn’t been done since 1993.
Supercross LIVE!, the only place on the planet to catch Amp’d Mobile Supercross live at home in your car, or just about anywhere in the world, is available live for fans at every race, starting at 7:00 p.m. local time at supercross.cc.com. Listen as Supercross LIVE! hosts Jim Holley and Jason Wiegandt capture the live race call, a pre-race show, a post-race show, post-race press conference, on-air industry guests and celebrities, in-depth interviews, promotions, call-ins and more. In 2004-2005, more than a three-quarters-of-million listeners logged on to Supercross LIVE! Archived broadcasts are also available at supercross.cc.com, or can be downloaded to iPod or MP3 players via Podcast at sxlivepodcast.com.
For more information about the Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, please log on to www.supercross.cc.com.
About Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP¿/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series
Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP is a 17-round global off-road motorcycle stadium racing circuit. Riders must compete in the international rounds to be eligible to win the world championship. In 2005-2006, the 17-event Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP will be comprised of two international events and 15 of the 16 events that are conducted in major cities throughout the United States as a part of the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series. Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series is a 16-event series solely conducted in the United States. The other Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series event held in Daytona Beach, Fla., is independently produced by the International Speedway Corporation and is not a part of the Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP. An Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series rider will be crowned as the national champion for the series of events conducted in the United States only.
The FIM, Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme, is the body that globally governs motorcycle sport at the world level. Among other matters, the FIM groups together 85 affiliated National Federations relating to the sport of motorcycle racing. AMA Pro Racing is the National Federation representative that sanctions motorcycle-racing events in the United States. Dorna Off Road S.L. is an internationally recognized sports management group established in 1988 with an emphasis on major international motor sports events. Dorna is headquartered in Madrid, Spain with branch offices in Barcelona, London and Tokyo. In addition to its involvement with Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP, Dorna manages the rights to MotoGP. For more information on Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/ Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, log on to www.supercross.cc.com.
About AMA Pro Racing
AMA Pro Racing is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its properties include the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, the AMA Motocross Championship presented by FMF, the AMA Superbike Championship presented by Parts Unlimited, the AMA Ford Quality Checked Flat Track Championship and the AMA Supermoto Championship. For more information about AMA Pro Racing, visit www.amaproracing.com.