AURORA, Ill. (February 8, 2006) ¿ Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series returns to San Diego’s Qualcomm Stadium this Saturday, February 11.
- This is the 23rd time the gate will drop at San Diego.
- First race held October 25, 1980, Mike Bell won on a Yamaha.
- David Vuillemin is the only first time winner at San Diego (2000).
- Suzuki has won at 16 different venues all across the country since ’74, but they have never won in San Diego.
- With Carmichael’s win last week he now has 8 wins at Anaheim. That ties McGrath’s record.
- Suzuki now has 44 total supercross wins.
- Carmichael has 43 total SX wins. His 10th on a Suzuki.
- Carmichael now has 35 consecutive podiums.
- Total wins by brand in San Diego are HON-11; YAM-10; KAW-1.
- Chad Reed got his 1st win of the season here last year.
- Reed now has 48 career podiums in 53 starts. Last week was his 21st runner up finish since ’03.
- In only his 3rd 250 career start back in ’99, Carmichael crashed here and the foot peg took a chunk out of his leg and finishing 19th.
- Here’s how he’s done year by year in San Diego: 10th in ’00, 1st in ’01, 4th in ’02, 3rd in ’03, 2nd in ’05.
- Another top five for LaRocco last weekend in Anaheim.
- Carmichael and Ivan Tedesco were on the podium for Suzuki. The last time that 2 Suzuki riders were on the podium was ’81.
- Langston gets 2nd win of the season. For the 5th time in as many rounds, the points lead has changed.
Supercross LIVE!, the only place on the planet to catch Amp’d Mobile Supercross live at home, is available for fans at every race, starting at 7:00 p.m. local time at supercross.cc.com. Listen as Supercross LIVE! hosts Jim Holley and Jason Wiegandt capture the live race call, a pre-race show, a post-race show, post-race press conference, on-air industry guests and celebrities, in-depth interviews, promotions, call-ins and more. In 2004-2005, more than a three-quarters-of-million listeners logged on to Supercross LIVE!
For more information about the Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, please log on to www.supercross.cc.com.
About Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP¿/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series
Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP is a 17-round global off-road motorcycle stadium racing circuit. Riders must compete in the international rounds to be eligible to win the world championship. In 2005-2006, the 17-event Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP will be comprised of two international events and 15 of the 16 events that are conducted in major cities throughout the United States as a part of the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series. Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series is a 16-event series solely conducted in the United States. The other Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series event held in Daytona Beach, Fla., is independently produced by the International Speedway Corporation and is not a part of the Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP. An Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series rider will be crowned as the national champion for the series of events conducted in the United States only.
The FIM, Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme, is the body that globally governs motorcycle sport at the world level. Among other matters, the FIM groups together 85 affiliated National Federations relating to the sport of motorcycle racing. AMA Pro Racing is the National Federation representative that sanctions motorcycle-racing events in the United States. Dorna Off Road S.L. is an internationally recognized sports management group established in 1988 with an emphasis on major international motor spoorts events. Dorna is headquartered in Madrid, Spain with branch offices in Barcelona, London and Tokyo. In addition to its involvement with Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP, Dorna manages the rights to MotoGP. For more information on Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/ Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, log on to www.supercross.cc.com.
About AMA Pro Racing
AMA Pro Racing is the leading sanctioning body for motorcycle sport in the United States. Its properties include the Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series, the AMA Motocross Championship presented by FMF, the AMA Superbike Championship presented by Parts Unlimited, the AMA Ford Quality Checked Flat Track Championship and the AMA Supermoto Championship. For more information about AMA Pro Racing, visit www.amaproracing.com.