Team Pro Circuit/Kawasaki/Chevy Trucks rider wins hard-fought battle at Anaheim; Roncada is 3rd
ANAHEIM, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2004) * Kawasaki has taken control of the 125 Western Region Supercross series on the strength of Team Pro Circuit/Kawasaki/Chevy Trucks’ Ivan Tedesco and his three consecutive wins to open the 2004 THQ AMA Supercross season. Tedesco piloted his Kawasaki KX250F to victory on Saturday night before a crowd of 43,602 at Angels Stadium in Anaheim, Calif.
Kawasaki has enjoyed a successful debut of its new four-stroke KX250F, as proven by the dominance of both Tedesco and teammate Stephane Roncada, who has added three podium finishes to open the season. All tolled, Kawasaki riders have led an amazing 64 of the possible 75 laps thus far this season, including heat races and main events.
Tedesco received his stiffest challenge on Saturday night, having to work from behind for the first time this season. By the end of the first lap, he found himself in a four-way battle for the lead with Roncada, Nathan Ramsey and leader Travis Preston.
The battle was trimmed to three when Ramsey went down on Lap 4. Tedesco applied pressure on Preston for the next seven laps, closing to within inches of the lead on several occasions but unable to make the pass. On Lap 12, Tedesco finally got around Preston and never looked back. He held onto the win ahead of Preston and Roncada, who finished second and third, respectively.
“Everybody was saying that I couldn’t win if I didn’t get a good start and I didn’t get the greatest start,” said Tedesco. “I made some passes the first lap then I got closer to Travis and came to the whoops and saw he wasn’t hitting them as hard and that was that. In the first practice I was feeling good.
“The second practice I wasn’t feeling too good and in my heat race I just wasn’t feeling that good and going into the main even I wasn’t really confident. I didn’t get the greatest start but I rode really good in the main. I was surprised.”
Chevy Trucks Kawasaki Team Green„¢ rider Troy Adams put in another solid performance on his Kawasaki KX250F. After qualifying for the main event with a fifth place finish in his heat race, Adams backed that up with a consistent ride in the feature, netting him a fifth place finish overall.
Tedesco holds a comfortable 13-point lead over Roncada in the 125 Western Region point standings, 75 to 62. Preston is the nearest non-Kawasaki rider at 55 points. Adams is eighth with 32.
In the 250 class, Team Chevy Trucks Kawasaki’s Michael Byrne qualified for the main event with a third place finish in his semi final race. He followed that up with a eighth place finish in the main event. He found himself in 10th place at the end of the first lap, and then slowly worked his way up two spots for a consistent finish. Chad Reed took home the win.
Reed holds a 16-point lead in the standings over David Vuillemin, 72 to 56. Byrne is fifth with 40 points.
The THQ AMA Supercross Series heads south next weekend (Jan. 24) to San Diego for round four at Qualcomm Stadium.
THQ AMA Supercross Series 125cc Western Regional Event Results
- Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
- Travis Preston, Hesperia, Calif., Honda
- Stephane Roncada, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Kawasaki
- Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Andrew Short, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Troy Adams, Brooksville, Fl., Kawasaki
- Ryan Morias, Turlock, Calif., KTM
- Brock Sellards, Sherrodsville, Ohio, Yamaha
- Greg Schnell, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Honda
- Joshua Summey, Stanley, N.C., Yamaha
THQ AMA Supercross Series 125cc Western Regional Season Standings
- Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 75
- Stephane Roncada, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Kawasaki, 62
- Travis Preston, Hesperia, Calif., Honda, 55
- Andrew Short, Colorado Springs, Colo., Suzuki, 52
- Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 50
- Brock Sellards, Sherrodsville, Ohio, Yamaha, 43
- Greg Schnell, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Yamaha, 38
- Troy Adams, Brooksville, Fl., Kawasaki 32
- Christopher Gosselaar, Victorville, Calif., Honda, 26
- Joshua Summey, Stanley, N.C., Yamaha 26
THQ AMA Supercross Series Event Results
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha
- Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
- David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Mike LaRocco, Corona, Calif., Honda
- Ernesto Fonseca, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Suzuki
- Damon Huffman, Valencia, Calif.
- Michael Byrne, Temecula, Calif., Kawasaki
- Grant Langston, Temecula, Calif., KTM
- Robbie Reynard, Oklahoma City, Ok., Honda
THQ AMA Supercross Series Season Standings
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha, 72
- David Vuillemin, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 56
- Mike LaRocco, Corona, Calif., Honda, 56
- Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 49
- Michael Byrne, Temecula, Calif., Kawasaki, 40
- Damon Huffman, Valencia, Calif., Honda, 38
- Tim Ferry, Dade City, Fla., Yamaha, 36
- Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Suzuki 36
- Ezra Lusk, Bainbridge, Ga., Yamaha, 32
- Tyler Evans, Canyon Lake, Calif., Suzuki, 32