Ricky Carmichael, for the 11th time this season, won the 250cc EA SPORTS Supercross main event in front of a record crowd of 39,227 at Sam Boyd Stadium. Team Chevy Trucks Kawasaki’s James Stewart, who finished a disappointing second place in the 125cc Western Regional Supercross championship, won the 125cc Dave Coombs Sr. East/West Shootout, marking his fourth win on the season.
Kyle Lewis, who rides for Team Moto XXX/DGY, earned the $1,500 POWERade Holeshot Award in front of Carmichael and Ezra Lusk, who rides for Team Chevy Trucks Kawasaki. Within two turns, Carmichael, who clinched the championship last weekend in Salt Lake City, took over the lead. Lusk moved into second and Carmichael held a solid five-second lead.
Carmichael held on for the win, Lusk finished a season best second, and Vuillemin finished third, his 13th podium of the season.
Team Yamaha’s David Vuillemin, the series’ runner-up finisher, won the $25,000 Vans Triple Crown of Supercross, his second in three years.
“This has been an amazing year for me,” said Carmichael on his second championship. “I was able to put together a great second half of the season and it paid off.”
Factory Connection Honda’s Chris Gosselaar earned the $1,000 POWERade Holeshot Award, while Stewart and Boost Mobile Yamaha’s Reed, the 125cc Eastern Regional Supercross champion started sixth and seventh respectively. By lap three Stewart worked his way into the lead, as Reed struggled to slice through traffic.
Reed, who won all but one of the 125cc Eastern regional Supercross rounds, worked his way passed Gosselaar for second. Stewart won, Reed finished second, and Gosselaar was third.
“I didn’t get the greatest start, so I had to work my way through the pack,” said Stewart. “The track was slick tonight, so I could not charge the corners like I usually do.”
Reed commented on Stewart’s performance: “I have been watching him all year, like everyone else; he is fast.”
125cc Dave Coombs Sr. East/West Shootout Results
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Chad Reed, Australia, Yamaha
3. Chris Gosselaar, Juniper Hills, Calif., Honda
4. Ivan Tedesco, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
5. Danny Smith, Middleton, Idaho, Suzuki
6. Travis Preston, Hesperia, Calif., Honda
7. Michael Byrne, Australia, Honda
8. Brock Sellards, Sherrodsville, Ohio, KTM
9. Brandon Jesseman, Fombell, Pa., Suzuki
10. Joshua Woods, Flint, Mich., Suzuki
250cc EA SPORTS Supercross Event Standings
1. Ricky Carmichael, Havana, Fla., Honda
2. Ezra Lusk, Acworth, Ga., Kawasaki
3. David Vuillemin, Corona, Calif., Yamaha
4. Nathan Ramsey, Menifee, Calif., Honda
5. Jeremy McGrath, Encinitas, Calif., Yamaha
6. Ernesto Fonseca, Costa Rica, Honda
7. Stephan Roncada, France, Kawasaki
8. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha
9. Kyle Lewis, Henderson, Nev., Honda
10. Keith Johnson, Albuquerque, N.M., Yamaha
250cc EA SPORTS Supercross Season Points Standings
1. Ricky Carmichael, Havana, Fla., Honda, 356 pts
2. David Vuillemin, Corona, Calif., Yamaha, 321 pts
3. Jeremy McGrath, Encinitas, Calif., Yamaha, 250 pts
4. Ezra Lusk, Acworth Ga., Kawasaki, 245 pts
5. Stephane Roncada, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki, 232 pts
6. Nathan Ramsey, Corona, Calif., Honda, 229 pts
7. Ernesto Fonseca, Costa Rica, Honda, 192 pts
8. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha, 173 pts
9. Damon Huffman, Valencia, Calif., Suzuki, 151 pts
10. Heath Voss, Mica, Texas, Honda, 148 pts