GP OF FAENZA – PHILIPPAERTS AND RATTRAY TAKE MX1 AND MX2 WORLD TITLES
The SIDI Grand Prix of Città di Faenza marked the final stop of the MX1 and MX2 World Championships this past weekend, and 30,000 fans were on hand to witness factory Yamaha’s David Philippaerts clinch the MX1 World Title. Max Nagl won his first Grand Prix in dominating fashion, winning both motos. Ken de Dycker and Jonathan Barragan rounded off the podium. Steve Ramon and De Dycker ended their seasons second and third respectively in the MX1 Championship overall standings.
In the MX2 class, Red Bull factory KTM’s Tyla Rattray wrapped up his first MX2 title at the end of the opening moto. His teammate, Tommy Searle, took the overall GP win, but it was not enough to keep Rattray from the championship. Searle and Nicolas Aubin rounded out the top three in the final overall MX2 standings. Former Yamaha of Troy rider turned UTag Yamaha rider Zach Osborne put in a solid performance of his own at Faenza finishing third overall.
Faenza MX1 Top Five Overall:
1. Maximilian Nagl (GER, KTM) 1-1
2. Ken de Dycker (BEL, Suzuki) 2-5
3. Jonathan Barragan (ESP, KTM) 4-4
4. Steve Ramon (BEL, Suzuki)
5. David Philippaerts (ITA, Yamaha)
Final MX1 Championship Standings:
1. David Philippaerts (ITA, Yamaha), 509 points
2. Steve Ramon (BEL, Suzuki), 495
3. Ken de Dycker (BEL, Suzuki), 490
4. Jonathan Barragan (ESP, KTM), 455
5. Joshua Coppins (NZL, Yamaha), 446
6. Maximilian Nagl (GER, KTM), 444
7. Sebastien Pourcel (FRA, Kawasaki), 392
8. Tanel Leok (EST, Kawasaki), 352
9. Billy Mackenzie (GBR, Honda), 320
10. Marc de Reuver (NED, Honda), 292
Faenza GP MX2 Top Five Overall:
1. Tommy Searle (GBR, KTM) 1-1
2. Tyla Rattray (RSA, KTM) 2-4
3. Joel Roelants (BEL, KTM)
4. Zach Osborne (USA, Yamaha)
5. Stephen Sword (GBR, Kawasaki)
Final MX2 Championship Standings:
1. Tyla Rattray (RSA, KTM), 636 points
2. Tommy Searle (GBR, KTM), 613
3. Nicolas Aubin (FRA, Yamaha), 406
4. Shaun Simpson (GBR, KTM), 394
5. Rui Goncalves (POR, KTM), 380
6. Antonio Cairoli (ITA, Yamaha), 357
7. Xavier Boog (FRA, Suzuki), 307
8. Jeremy van Horebeek (BEL, KTM), 299
9. Stephen Sword (GBR, Kawasaki), 291
10. Steven Frossard (FRA, Kawasaki), 289
Both the MX1 World Champion David Philippaerts and the MX2 World Champion Tyla Rattray will be competing for their National Teams – Italy and South Africa respectively – at the Motocross of Nations at Donnington Park on September 28th. Stay tuned for full coverage of the race.
DIRT DAYS THIS WEEKEND!
Don't miss the final Dirt Days 2008 stop this Saturday and Sunday, September 20th and 21st at Milestone Ranch Motocross park in Riverside CA. This is your last chance to catch this FREE all ages motocross event. There will be a kids learn to ride area, Red Bull T-N-T freestyle motocross demo, retail tent full of close-outs and great buys, vendor row with demos and other cool items, bands presented by Sullen, raffles (including the chance to win Travis Prastrana replica bike thanks to Kicker Audio), the Miss Transworld Motocross Model Search presented by VonZipper, and of course riding the track for FREE!!!
• WHAT: TWMX 2008 Dirt Days FINAL STOP
• WHEN: September 20th and 21st , events start at 9am both days
• WHERE Milestone Ranch MX Park (12685 Holly St, Riverside, CA 92509)
• Gates open at 8 am both days and riding is from 9-4. Riding and the event are FREE (thanks Kim from Milestone and Swap from TWMX!)
• The number of riders and space at Milestone are limited, so please DO NOT bring large trailers or fifth wheels if you don't have to.
• Once the track reaches its maximum occupancy, we will not be allowed to let people in – so get their early if you want to get in.
• TW staff and our friends from PRO RIDE who were cool enough to volunteer their time, will be working hard to get everyone in quickly as well as direct parking so we can fit as many people as possible – please work with us.
Here's just some of what's going on at Dirt Days this weekend…
GIANT Retail tent brought to you by 10 West Motorsports
Come early and don't miss the HUGE retail tent full of your favorite motocross product, gear and supplies at closeout prices, brought to you by 10 West Motorsports. They will have great prices on items like:
OGIO 6900 MX BAG
REG RETAIL. $159.99
SALE PRICE $49.99
NO TOIL FILTER INSTALLED $9.99
O'NEAL 08' HARDWEAR. PANT JERSEY COMBO
REG RETAIL $199.98
SALE PRICE $75.00
PRO TAPER EVO BARS
REG RETAIL $89.99
SALE PRICE $59.99
Be sure to check out vendor row, where there are more than 30 companies bringing you amazing products. Scott, AXO and TCX will be doing boot demos where you can try on a pair of boots and put them to the real test on the track! KTM will have their brand new 2009 bikes out there to ride. Maxima will be doing free oil changes at the 10 West retail tent. Also, you can demo Leatt braces, Von Zipper goggles, and the wild electric MX bikes by Zero Motocycles. Fasst Co. will also have their Flexx handlebars on hand for you to try out. Two Brothers will be on-hand doing demos of their exhaust systems. OR how about having your suspension completely re-done by WR1 while you wait, or sag set by RG3 and Factory Connection. As if that's not enough, you can enter to win an RM250 Travis Patrana Replica bike at the Kicker rig. You can also check out all the new products by Makita Power Tools, RK Excel, Faster USA, Beer Goggles, Utopia Optics, Women's MX, Tool Seat, ASV, Universal, MotoStik, Sullen, Moto Cutz, and Truth Soul Armor.
Kids Learn to Ride Area:
Bring your kids out to finally get them that first lesson on a dirt bike thanks to the pros at Coach to Ride. Your kid will get put in full gear (provided by AXO and Scorpion Helmets) and take a ride around the kids area on a Yamaha bike. Don’t miss this great opportunity to spark your kids’ interest in the sport we already know and love.
One of the highlights of TWMX Dirt Days is the freestyle demo. Check out Jimmie McGuire, Destin Cantrell, Jesse Jolson, JJ Romans as the Red Bull TnT Freestyle Team does a full-blown freestyle motocross demo and signs autographs following the show.
Throughout both days the stage will have bands scheduled to play thanks to Sullen Clothing. Scheduled to appear is Red Struck Four, Verona Grove, LIFELINE and Transworld’s very own Quad Off Road Magazine editor, all chick band, Pretty in Stereo.
The must see event of the weekend…help us choose the winner of the TransWorld Motocross Model Search brought to you by Von Zipper. Come see as girls from all over Southern California are put to the test to see if they have what it takes to become the next Miss Transworld Motocross.
Dirt Days California Schedule:
Saturday, September 20th
• 9:00 am — Kickoff
• 9:00am – 4:00pm — Kids Learn to Ride and Adult Open Riding
• 9:00am – 4:00pm — Retail Sale and Vendor Booths
• 12:00- 12:30pm — Red Bull's TnT Freestyle Demo (1)
• 12:30 – 1:00 — Band: Red Struck Four presented by Sullen
• 2:00- 2:30 — Red Bull's TnT Freestyle Demo (2)
• 2:30-3:00 — Band: Verona Grove
• 3:00 – 3:30 — Miss TWMX Model Search presented by Von Zipper
• 4:00 – Event Closed
Sunday, September 21st
• 9:00 am — Kickoff
• 9:00 – 4:00pm — Kids Learn to Ride and Adult Open Riding
• 9:00 – 4:00pm — Retail Sale and Vendor Booths
• 11:00-11:30 — Band: LIFELINE presented by Sullen
• 11:30 – 12:00 — Red Bull's TnT Freestyle Demo (1)
• 12:00 – 12:30 — Band: Pretty in Stereo
• 12:45 – 1:15 – Band: Verona Grove
• 2:00 – 2:30 — Red Bull's TnT Freestyle Demo (2)
• 2:30- 3:00 — Band: Red Struck Four presented by Sullen
• 3:00 – 4:00 — Miss TWMX Model Search Prelims/Finals
• 4:00 — Raffle on stage (For Kicker Travis Pastrana RM 250, etc.)
*Times subject to change*
See you at the track!!!
Check out some photos from Dirt Days Texas
Stay tuned later today for our First Impression of the 2009 Suzuki RM-Z450