IRVINE, Calif. (March 19, 2007) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Destry Abbott captured a solid fifth-place finish in the Pro class at round three of the WORCS series in Lake Havasu City, Ariz. With 100-degree temperatures and an extremely challenging course, this was one of the most physically demanding races of the year. Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Green rider Jamie Lanza rode a phenomenal race, capturing his first Pro 2 class victory of the year after an exciting last lap pass.
After a great start, Abbot was in sixth place until a mid-race crash dropped him down four positions.
“I just rode a steady pace,” said Abbott. “I knew it was going to be hot and I didn’t want to push it too early. A lot of the motocross racers were pushing really hard and I told myself I wasn’t going to do that because it’s two hours in the heat and sand whoops. The last half hour I gave it a good push and made it back to fifth.”
David Pingree, columnist for Racer X Illustrated, raced in the Pro class aboard a team Monster Energy Kawasaki KX-450F, finishing in 14th place.
In the Pro 2 class, Lanza worked his way to the front of the pack following a bad start. After a crash mid-race, he remounted his KX-250F and chased down the second-place rider to take the win in the last 60 seconds of the race.
“I was 40 seconds down with two or three laps left and I knew I could get to the front,” said Lanza. “My Kawasaki ran awesome. I’ve just been having a lot of trouble with crashing lately. I just keep telling myself to stay up. I’ll be working on it for the next round.”
After missing the last round due to sickness, teammate Ryan Abbatoye rode to a third-place finish, giving Kawasaki two of the three podium positions.
Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Green rider Joshua Morros also rode a tough race in the Pro 2 class. He was running in first until he ran into some bushes lining a sandy low visibility section of the course. Multiple riders collided with Morros’ bike in the dust forcing him to pit early in the race for repairs. He quickly got back on his bike and rode strong for an incredible fourth-place finish.
Two-time WORCS champion Nathan Woods and reigning champion Ricky Dietrich missed round three due to injuries. Dietrich is recovering from shoulder surgery and hopes to return at round seven in Toutle, Wash. Woods’ injured right hand should be healed in time for round four in Payette, Idaho, scheduled for March 30.
World Off Road Championship Series
Round 3 – Crazy Horse Campgrounds – Lake Havasu City, Ariz.
WORCS Pro Class Results
1. Ryan Hughes, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki
2. Kurt Caselli, Palmdale, Calif., KTM
3. Robby Bell, Sun City, Calif., Honda
4. Lance SmaIl, Kent, Wash., HSQ
5. DESTRY ABBOTT, PEORIA, ARIZ., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI
6. Casey Johnson, Winchester, Calif., Yamaha
7. Bobby Bonds, Maricopa, Calif., Yamaha
8. DEREK COSTELLA, LAS VEGAS, NEV., KAWASAKI
9. KYLE SUMMERS, DIVIDE, COLO., KAWASAKI
10. Ty Davis, Hesperia, Calif., Yamaha
11. MATT KARLSEN, DENVER, COLO., KAWASAKI
13. SCOTT SIMON, RIVERSIDE, CALIF., KAWASAKI
14. DAVID PINGREE, CORONA, CALIF., KAWASAKI
WORCS Pro 2 Class Results
1. JAMIE LANZA, BEAUMONT, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN
2. Nick Brozovich, Bayfield, Colo., Yamaha
3. RYAN ABBATOYE, RIDGECREST, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN
4. JOSHUA MORROS, SPARKS, NEV., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN
5. Brodie Humphries, St. George, Utah, Suzuki
6. Johnathan Davis, Martinez, Calif., KTM
7. BRAD GOOLSBY, RANCHO CUCAMONGA, KAWASAKI
8. Travis Krueger, Lynden, Wash., KTM
9. Tracon Kirk, St. George, Utah, KTM
10. Cooper Hall, Alta Loma, Calif., Yamaha
13. CODY BOHANNA, HEERPERIA, CALIF., KAWASAKI
14. SEAN GEISER, FLAGSTAFF, ARIZ., KAWASAKI
WORCS Pro Class Standings
1. Ryan Hughes, Suzuki, 85
2. Kurt Caselli, KTM, 71
3. Robby Bell, Honda, 45
4. DESTRY ABBOTT, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 42
5. Casey Johnson, Yamaha, 42
6. DEREK COSTELLA, KAWASAKI, 39
7. KYLE SUMMERS, KAWASAKI, 38
8. MATT KARLSEN, KAWASAKI, 36
9. Lance Smail, HSQ, 34
10. Bobby Bonds, Yamaha, 32
11. RICKY DIETRICH, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 30
14. NATHAN WOODS, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 22
WORCS, Pro 2 Class Standings
1. JOSHUA MORROS, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN, 78
2. JAMIE LANZA, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN, 69
3. Nick Brozovich, Yamaha, 46
4. Brodie Humphries, Suzuki, 43
5. Jonathan Davis, KTM, 43
6. TAYLOR ROBERT, KAWASAKI, 40
7. BRAD GOODLSBY, KAWASAKI, 39
8. RYAN ABBATOYE, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN, 37
9. JUSTIN MORROW, KAWASAKI, 28
10. Tracon Kirk, KTM, 28
12. BRETT SAUNDERS, KAWASAKI, 28
13. ROBBIE GOOLSBY, KAWASAKI, 14