COLORS: Black, red, white
The Gaerne SG-12 is the Italian boot maker’s top-of-the line motocross offering, and it features a hinged ankle design, large grip guards on the inner calf, a carbon fiber shank in the sole, and a dual durometer Vibram rubber sole. This is the boot of choice for motocross legend Kevin Windham.
WHAT WE LIKE
– Hinged angle design is excellent, offering extraordinary protection from both twisting and rolling injuries.
– Almost no break-in is required thanks to pivoting ankle.
– The most comfortable boot we’ve ever worn.
– Easy to slip into and buckle up, thanks to booty-free design and straightforward buckles.
– Sole has excellent feel on the pegs, with great traction.
– Carbon fiber shank minimizes the pain involved with hard landings.
– Gaiter at top of boot does a great job of keeping out dirt.
– Boot maintains the same feel throughout its life span; doesn’t get clapped out and floppy.
– Ankle area may be snugged up extra firmly, a plus for riders with weak ankles.
– New, slimmer toe box offers great feel when shifting.
WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE
– At a little over nine pounds per pair in a size nine, the SG-12 is on the heavy side. However, the Alpinestars Tech 10 weight is in the same ballpark.
– The SG-12 is on the tall size, a negative for vertically challenged riders.
WHAT WE REALLY THINK
The Gaerne SG-12 is an amazing boot. With unrivaled comfort, great protective qualities, and a fit and feel that stand the test of time, it is easily one of TransWorld Motocross’ all-time favorites.