Kiwi motocross sensation, Ben Townley, has moved into the points lead of the AMA Toyota Motocross Lites championship after claiming his third successive overall victory (his fifth of the series) in front of over 26.0000 spectators in Washougal, WA.
The Washougal Motocross Park presented Townley with probably one of the most difficult tasks so far this season. With fellow Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team-mate Ryan Villopoto getting out front in moto 1, Townley did all he could to try and keep the Washington native honest and had to settle for second in front of Ryan Dungey.
Townley managed a top 3 start again in moto 2 and quickly found his way around Dungey and then Broc Hepler to take over the lead. Villopoto went down in the start, giving Townley the breathing space necessary to bring home his fifth overall victory of the season and a two point lead in the series.
“It’s been a tough day at the office admitted Townley. “Ryan (Villopoto) was on fire and I was doing all I could to be where I was. I knew I had to get around Ryan Dungey pretty fast in the first moto if I was going to have any chance of keeping up with RV. He managed to gap me and I just rode that race out thinking about the next one. In the second moto I initially didn’t know that Ryan had gone down so I eventually managed to drop Broc Hepler and then bring it home. The track was probably the hardest one for me to master so far since I have been in the US. It’s just a tricky track to ride – so slippery and there is shade in a lot of places so you go from hard-dry into wet-tacky, shiny spots and that was tough for me to come to grips with. I am happy to get out of there with what I achieved. It has been an awesome day for me considering how I was riding.
With round 9 of the 12 round series scheduled in Millville Minnesota on August 12-13, Townley will have a week’s break before heading to the Spring Creek Motocross Park to defend his Motocross Lites series points lead.
Motocross Lites (Moto Finish)
1. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 2-1
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 1-3
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 3-2
4. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 6-4
5. Brett Metcalfe, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 5-5
6. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., KTM, 7-6
7. Broc Tickle, Cary, N.C., Yamaha, 8-11
8. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 13-8
9. Broc Hepler, Kittanning, Pa., Yamaha, 4-35
10. Joaquim Rodrigues, Temecula, Calif., KTM, 15-10
Motocross Lites Point Standings
1. Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 357
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 355
3. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 286
4. Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 258
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 254
6. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 162
7. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 141
8. Andrew McFarlane, Newport Beach, Calif., Suzuki, 132
9. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 128
10. Broc Tickle, Cary, N.C., Yamaha, 127