Ben Townley of the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/ Kawasaki team has won his second Motocross Lites event of the season at the third round of the AMA Toyota Motocross champs in Southwick, Massachusetts.
The New Zealander was picked as race favorite coming into the event due to his vast sand riding experience gained while campaigning the MX GP series in Europe. Being a former MX2 world champion and Dutch Motocross champion he was the man to beat at the infamous MX338 sand track.
With organizers flattening the circuit on Saturday night prior to the race and between moto’s on race day, the normally rough and demanding Southwick circuit was made easier on the riders which did not play into Townley’s favour.
Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/ Kawasaki team-mate, Ryan Villopoto, grabbed the hole-shot in moto 1 while ‘BT’ had to work his way to second and give chase to his young rival. Villopoto took the win with Townley a few seconds adrift with both Team-mates posting impressive race lap times, almost two seconds faster than the next group of riders.
After grabbing a good start in moto 2, ‘BT’ succeeded in getting around Ryan Dungey to take the lead in the opening stages of the 30 minute moto. A fast charging Villopoto managed to reel Townley in and take over the lead but threw it away later in the race to hand Townley the overall laurels.
“It was a good day for me but I didn’t gain any points in the championship and that was one of my goals coming into the race. Ryan (Villopoto) rode really well and impressed me with how fast he was in the sand today. I was happy to let him go in the second moto because he was running a really fast past and I knew that it would be hard to keep that up for the entire race and as it happened he made a mistake which I was able to capitalize on. I was confident that the pace I was running I could keep going for the whole moto but in the end I got let off the hook and was happy to bring home the victory. explained Townley after winning his second ever AMA Motocross Lites overall.
The next round of the championship moves to Budds Creek, Maryland (16-17 June), a track where Townley rode his first ever AMA 125cc outdoor event as a guest rider back in 2002.
Motocross Lites (Moto Finish):
- Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki, 2-1
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 1-2
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 3-3
- Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 5-4
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 4-5
- Kyle Chisholm, Seminole, Fla., Kawasaki, 9-6
- Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 6-9
- Billy Laninovich, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 8-10
- Billy Ainsworth, Columbia, Conn., Kawasaki, 12-11
- Robert Kiniry, La Fayette, N.Y., Kawasaki, 11-13
Motocross Lites Point Standings:
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 138
- Ben Townley, Tallahassee, Fla., Kawasaki,130
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 116
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Honda, 112
- Jason Lawrence, Murrieta, Ga., Yamaha, 101
- Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 74
- Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 63
- Broc Tickle, Cary, N.C., Yamaha, 58
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Honda, 55
- Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Yamaha, 46