Product Name – BIONIC NECK SUPPORT – SB (Special Blend)
Category – Protection
Description – The Alpinestars Bionic Neck Support (BNS) is a structure which is designed to work with a helmet to reduce the risk and severity of a catastrophic neck injury (ie. A paralyzing injury). While no product can guarantee protection from all motorcycle injuries, due to the varied dynamics of accidents, the BNS is designed to substantially reduce the likelihood of a career ending neck injury although it must be stated at the outset that it, as with other such systems, may not prevent injuries occurring in all cases.
Function – The BNS functions by providing an alternative load path for the energy that compresses the neck. If the helmet is in contact with the Bionic Neck Support at the moment of impact the overall load passing through the neck can be reduced, which may prevent a fracture from occurring. The BNS also helps reduce the chance of muscular injuries associated with extremes of head movement. While it is not possible to eliminate the risk of any form of injury, the BNS is designed to help prevent the most serious damage and minimize the risk of collateral injury as the impact load is channeled away from the neck. When compared to soft ‘neck roll’ devices the protection afforded is significantly better because being soft, these devices simply deform, offering no protection against the damaging compressive forces. As with any riding equipment, fit is critical to ensuring the most effective protection possible and riders should choose the equipment that is best suited to their body. No neck device should roll around over the shoulders.
The Bionic Neck Support – SB (Special Blend) – Key Features
- Blend of reinforced Polyurethane main frame material – extensively impact tested at varying temperatures to ensure neck ring stays intact.
- Two different densities of EVA foam are used in the BNS SB: firmer EVA in the shoulders and softer EVA in the front and back for comfort
- Pivot Key system: A special magnesium key located at the rear allows the convenient front opening of the device while also allowing it to be dismantled in an emergency.
- Fitting System: Fine adjustment of the shoulder height allows a more personalized fit – particularly for individuals who have a shorter than normal neck.
- Rear Stabilizer Failure system: In the event of large loads being channeled onto the rear stabilizer (the part that sits on the back) there are a number of deliberate bending and fracture points designed to relieve extreme loads that may be transmitted down the back. These include:
- Deflection of foam tail
- Grooves to allow deflection of support structure tip
- Fracture area of support structure tip
- Fracture of supporting members (also fracture if subject to side loads that could cause a large rotation to the head).
- Collar Bone preservation 1: All parts in contact with the body use an expanded foam compound to distribute the impact force over the widest area yet remain light in weight.
- Collar Bone preservation 2: A continuous frame member runs over the shoulders – this means there are no weak points in a critical part of the frame and that there are no metal pins or screws sitting directly above the shoulders which could be dislodged into the shoulders or collarbone during an accident.
- Choice of Strap Systems. The BNS is supplied with the X-Strap System which allows a small, light strap (worn over or under the jersey) to secure the device to the rider. The larger A-Strap assembly (available as a separate accessory) provides a traditional chest strap for those who like to wear the protector tight to the body.
- Mounting points for accessories: Allows for integration of the BNS SB with your own Alpinestars accessories.
Sizes: XS, S, M, L (XL available in early 2010)
Suggested retail price: $289.95