Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Nathan Woods earned his first WORCS victory of the season at the very technical Honey Lake MX track in Milford, Calif. Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Green riders swept the podium in the Pro 2 class as Josh Morros won his fourth race of the season.
Back to 100 percent from an injury last month, Woods jumped into the lead on the first lap and stayed in front the entire race. He used his expertise on the rocky course to extend his lead each lap. By the end of the two-hour race, he was more than a minute in front of second place. With this win, Woods moves up to fourth place in the points.
“After yesterday’s practice, I had the confidence to win this race,” said Woods. “We had a great pit and the guys got me in and out really quickly. I felt great and my mechanic Steve Smith had my Kawasaki KX"¢450F working great.”
Teammate Destry Abbott put in double-duty over the weekend, flying in the night before from an AMA Hare and Hound race in Utah. Although he was not able to practice, he ran out front with the leaders after a mid-pack start. He was just seconds back from the third-place rider as he crossed the finish line.
“I can’t believe how great I felt all day,” said Abbott. “If it wasn’t for the bottleneck on the first lap, I really felt like I would’ve had a great shot at winning. This is the best I have felt in a long time, and I know all my hard work is starting to show. I can’t wait for the next round.”
The Pro 2 class podium was all Kawasaki green for the second round in a row. Morros’ victory extends his lead to 23 points in the series. Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Green teammates Jamie Lanza and Ryan Abbatoye rounded out the podium with second and third-place finishes, respectively.
The Monster Energy Kawasaki team will be in Los Olivos, Calif., on May 18, for round six of the WORCS series.
World Off Road Championship Series
Honey Lake MX – Milford, Calif.
WORCS Pro Class Results
1. NATHAN WOODS, PASO ROBLES, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI
2. Robby Bell, Sun City, Calif., Honda
3. Justin Soule’, Reno, Nev., KTM
4. DESTRY ABBOTT, PEORIA, ARIZ., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI
5. Bobby Garrison, Sparks, Nev., Yamaha
6. DEREK COSTELLA, LAS VEGAS, NEV., KAWASAKI
7. Ryan Hughes, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki
8. SCOTT SIMON, RIVERSIDE, CALIF., KAWASAKI
9. Mike Kiedrowski, Saugus, Calif., Suzuki
10. KYLE SUMMERS, DIVIDE, COLO., KAWASAKI
WORCS Pro 2 Class Results
1. JOSH MORROS, SPARKS, NEV., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN
2. JAMIE LANZA, BEAUMONT, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN
3. RYAN ABBATOYE, RIDGECREST, CALIF., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN
4. Jonathan Davis, Martinez, Calif., KTM
5. Nick Brozovich, Bayfield, Colo., Yamaha
WORCS Pro Class Standings
1. Ryan Hughes, Suzuki, 129
2. Kurt Caselli, KTM, 98
3. Robby Bell, Honda, 88
4. NATHAN WOODS, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 73
5. DESTRY ABBOTT, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 72
6. Justin Soule’, KTM, 61
7. DEREK COSTELLA, KAWASAKI, 59
8. KYLE SUMMERS, KAWASAKI, 56
9. MATT KARLSEN, KAWASAKI, 50
10. Bobby Bonds, Yamaha, 46
WORCS, Pro 2 Class Standings
1. JOSH MORROS, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN, 138
2. JAMIE LANZA, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN, 115
3. TAYLOR ROBERT, KAWASAKI, 80
4. RYAN ABBATOYE, MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI TEAM GREEN, 76
5. Nick Brozovich, Yamaha, 62