Electric mountain bikers now have four more races to show off their skills as Bosch eBike Systems announces its 2018 Boogaloo Race Series, kicking off at Vail Lake on May 12-13.
The Bosch and Troy Lee Designs-backed series is the largest eMTB race series of its kind of all of North America. It's limited to Class 1 pedal-assist electric mountain bikes, and includes two additional race venues in 2018 after two sold-out races in 2017.
"Both Boogaloo races last year were a blast for riders, spectators, and the many tourists that recreate at these beautiful resorts, so we wanted to grow it this year to include more venues, more racers, and more opportunities to demo an eBike," said Claudia Wasko, General Manager of Bosch eBike Systems Americas.
The Series kicks off on May 12-13 at Vail Lake, a unique high-desert racing oasis & camping resort tucked away in the foothills of the Palomar mountains near Temecula, CA. The Vail Lake Boogaloo is featured in conjunction with the SoCal Endurance Series, which attracts some of the strongest cross-country mountain-bikers in the state.
The race then creeps northward up to Big Bear Mountain, where Snow Summit Ski Resort will host its first ever Boogaloo in conjunction with the popular Crafts & Cranks festival July 28-29. The course at Snow Summit will be integrated into their famous downhill bike park, and promises steeper climbs and bigger drops.
After a brief summer hiatus, the Boogaloo then resumes at NorCal's Downhill bike mecca, Northstar California near North Lake Tahoe. This race will be paired with a brand new event powered by Interbike, the Northstar Free-Ride Festival on September 15-16.
As the prelude to the highly anticipated Interbike International Expo in nearby Reno, the Festival promises to attract not only the most innovative brands in the bike industry, but a mix of California's finest riders and those new to the sport looking to demo the latest and greatest new products.
One week later, just after the close of Interbike, the fourth and final Boogaloo heads South again to the birthplace of Downhill, Mammoth Mountain, in conjunction with the classic Kamikaze Bike Games September 21-22.
This will be Mammoth's 3rd Boogaloo under its belt, so they've decided to crank up the eMTB intensity and add a brand new "eDuro" - electric Enduro mountain bike race - on Sunday, September 23 after the Boogaloo race on the September 22.
"What can I say? I am a racer at heart, no matter the machine! The Boogaloo series we came up with Bosch is the most fun I've had on a bike, in years!" said Troy Lee, Founder and President of Troy Lee Designs. "Combining my love of bicycles and a unique one-of-a-kind race event all in one venue, and putting them on at some cool new resorts in the mountains is amazing to educate people about these bikes. I am also really excited for the eDuro Boogaloo at the season finale! Stoked to bring the love of these pedal-assist class 1 eMTBs to the trails.”
In advance of the Snow Summit and Mammoth Mountain Boogaloos, both resorts will host a special "Lunch, Learn, & Ride" event with local eMTB dealers and land managers to learn about eMTBs and their responsible use on natural surface trails (May 29th Snow Summit, May 31st Mammoth).
Both resorts are located on land managed by the U.S. Forest Service.
To register for the Boogaloo race, visit www.tldboschboogaloo.com. To attend the "Lunch & Learns" (eMTB industry and land managers only), please contact email@example.com (Snow Summit) or CCasey@mammothresorts.com (Mammoth). For sponsorship inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
Key Features of the Boogaloo Series:
- Each race features three classes: Pro class, "Race of Champions"-style Open Class, and a brand new "Youth" class for riders under 14. All races will be held on the Saturday afternoon of each Boogaloo weekend.
- Racers and the general public will be able to demo a variety of Class 1 eMTBs from world-class brands for free all weekend long starting Saturday morning and ending Sunday afternoon, except during races.
- 2018 participating eMTB brands include Bulls, Fantic, Focus, Giant, Haibike, Pivot, Raleigh Electric, Specialized, and Trek, each featuring certified class 1 (pedal-assist, 20 mph cut-off speed, <1 hp) electric drives from Bosch, Brose, Shimano, and Yamaha.
- Prizes for Pros: for one hundred percent pro cash purse payout ($2-3k) and Bosch power tools. Prizes for Open Class: Bosch power tools
- All racers will be decked out in custom Troy Lee Designs bibs & race plates; Pros & Open Class will receive a custom Boogaloo A1 helmet. Youth will receive TLD gloves for participating.
- Additional sponsors include Jaguar, PPG, Nature's Bakery, Transworld Motocross, Electric Bike Action, Magura, and FlyRides.